Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Operation: Eat With Your Straw...Say Whatttt?!


A Feast on Fasting...
I'm Hungry! Kendie Want NOM! NOM! NOM!







The Diva Half-Marathon is this upcoming weekend! YAYYY!! And I thought, perfect time to bust out my new seasonal tradition, the ol' Juice Fast! Taaa Daaaa!! Juice fasting cleanses, heals, and repairs our body. It leaves behind a surplus of energy that'll have you kicking your next workout in the face...Go Team!

It's important to give your body a seasonal reboot in order to rid toxins, rejuvenate, and heal any impurities or problematic areas.When we juice, a megadose of micronutrients enter our bloodstream quickly due to the lack of digestion needed. Our body becomes saturated with trace minerals and vitamins...and basically, you turn into The Incredible Hulk! By maintaining healthy micronutrient levels, you will keep your body strong, control blood sugar levels, fight aging (yes!), and become less prone to illness and disease. Check out the Facts!

Now what am I supposed to do??


Haven't tried juicing or juice fasting before?! Spring is a perfect time to begin your fast as it symbolizes rebirth and renewal. On another note, the large amount of fruits and veggies required to fast are readily available and a whole lot cheaper. NO excuses! I am still pretty new to the whole juicing concept and fasting, but I love it! I tend to fast anywhere from 2-6 days depending on the amount of willpower, time, and need. For instance, I suggest 2-3 days when you're in need of a quick body reboot, energy-level increase, or upcoming fitness event. I recommend 3-7 days for a massive body cleanse. 

Juice Fasting produced a surprising amount of energy. I run without any problems and feel great! Keep in mind, your body is working at maximum efficiency, because the breakdown and storage of food is not stealing your energy. By consuming only fruits and vegetable juices, with no solid foods, our body is able to focus its energy solely on cleansing and healing. The energy usually required for our digestive system to breakdown food, process, store nutrients, and produce waste is no longer needed. Our body's natural defense system uses the surplus of energy and powerful micronutrients to free our body of toxins and impurities that weigh us down, allowing us to maintain health and restore our health.

Just in Case...

If your body is storing a lot of toxins, you may experience headaches or waves of nausea which will pass as the toxins leave your body. If you are taking any medication, you may need to contact a Holistic Doctor or take your medications with a solid fruit or vegetable. I suggest eating bananas to maintain sugar levels during intense workouts and long fasts. And remember, you MUST drink a lot of distilled water during your fast to aid in flushing out toxins. Listen to your body! You know yourself better than anybody else. If you feel very ill, eat and try again...don't give up, there's always next time!


The Spring Fast...

My brand new roomie decided to join me, this being her very first fast. It's nice to have a buddy to keep your head on straight and motivate. We decided on a quick 2 day fast, and I gotta' say, it went really well for us both! This time, I didn't have any headaches or sickness which was awesome. I felt great, energized, and ran both days. My roomie did a great job and absolutely loved it, having just a little bit of a nausea but nothing too bad. Newbies can do this too, mind over matter! Our fast was a success, giving us a nice body reboot and courage to kick-off bathing suit season! It's comin' ladies and gents, whether we like it or not!

Gimme Yo Recipes...

During the fast, you will consume a massive amount of organic fruits and veggies. I have provided some recipes to help gain an idea of how much juice I drink. For breakfast, I consume a full small Mason jar of juice. For lunch and dinner, I consume 2 small Mason jars or one large jar of juice. I will have a small Mason jar of juice for a snack.

This is an example of a lunch or dinner portion. If you look closely, you can see that I have divided the fruits and veggies. I made 2 separate small Mason jars of juice from the photo below. So, half of the produce would be enough for one breakfast jar.


A Lunch or Dinner Recipe #1
Cut in half for a Breakfast or Snack Portion

  • 2 Lemons
  • 1/2-3/4 Bundle of Kale
  • 3/4 Container of Strawberries with tops
  • 2 Apples- Red or Green
  • 1 Cucumber or 2 Baby Cucumbers
  • One Bundle of Carrots or Rainbow Carrots with the greens
  • 3 Radishes
And Voila...



Tip: To avoid breaking down the micronutrients, eliminate oxygen exposure by filling your juice to the brim of your Mason Jar. If you do not have enough juice, fill up your jar to the top with distilled water to avoid exposure.




A Lunch or Dinner Recipe #2
Cut in half for a Breakfast or Snack Portion


  • 2 Green Apples
  • One Bundle of Kale
  • One Bunch of Carrots or Rainbow Carrots with greens
  • 3/4-1 Container of Strawberries
  • 3 Oranges
  • One Cucumber or 2 Baby Cucumbers
  • One Lemon
  • 3 Radishes
And Voila...


A Lunch or Dinner Recipe #3
Super Tasty, love this one!

  • 2 Large Cucumbers or 4 Baby Cucumbers
  • 1 Bundle of Carrots or Rainbow Carrots with greens
  • 2 Green Apples
  • 3/4 Container of Strawberries with tops
  • 1/4 Bundle of Kale
Breakfast and Snack Recipe #1
  • Half of a Bundle of Carrots or Rainbow Carrots
  • One Cucumber or 2 Baby Cucumbers
  • One Container of Blueberries or Strawberries
  • Half of a Bundle of Kale 
  • One Apple
Breakfast and Snack Recipe #2
  • Half of a Bundle of Kale
  • 1 Apple
  • 1 Kiwi
  • One Cucumber
Breakfast and Snack Recipe #3
  • Half of a Cantaloupe 
  • Half of a container of Berries
  • Half of a bundle of Carrots 
  • One Cucumber
That should do the trick, Ladies and Gentlemen! 
Happy Juicing!

Missed my first Juice Blog?? Don't ever do that again! 

2 comments:

  1. First of all I would like to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question which I'd like to ask if you don't
    mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your
    mind before writing. I've had a tough time clearing
    my thoughts in getting my thoughts out. I truly do take
    pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15
    minutes are usually lost just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any ideas or hints? Kudos!

    Look at my web page; Natural Green Cleanse (jumlomild.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words! I am very passionate about every topic and blog that I write about! That being said, it makes it a lot easier to find direction that I need to go. I tend to write how I talk, and that makes it easier to get my points across and to find the words needed to create my blogs. I am a Marketing Major, and I try to write in a "fun" way. I know it sounds cliche, but I outline the points that I would like to get out to my readers, and next, find the facts to back up my ideas which creates the substance...this makes it easier, because you are essentially filling in the blanks which helps from getting lost or off-topic. That provides my direction. As I write, I find myself on track and just filling in the missing pieces. Then, I enter the process of editing as much as possible to keep my readers interested and also to breakdown really heavy information in a fun light THANK YOU for reading my blog. It means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete