Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Injuries are NOT the End!!! OUUUCCChhhhh!!

The Tale of the Silver Lining Sprain...
Don't Give-up...This Too Shall Pass!

So, you hurt your ankle...what are ya gonna do?? CRY ABOUT IT?! I'll admit, for the first couple of weeks after my "step-in-a-pothole-stupid-ankle-sprain" I was celebrating the pity party of a century...hatin' life, and hatin' everything!! As the runners passed by, I grew angrier and that kind of attitude wasn't going to help but only hinder the next 4-6 weeks. I was presented with two choices: sulk on the couch or change my workout routine and attitude...I'm really glad that I chose the latter, because I found a great silver lining that came to me during my run yesterday! I thought that I would share it with you all! In case, you ever have an injury...maybe, you will choose the same path?

It is important to nurse your injury back to health. Be diligent, pay attention to your body and most importantly, don't give-up!
  • Tape Your Injury. View this Youtube How to Tape Video!
  • Ice & Elevate every day! A Medical Journal Study about ice decreasing pain, swelling, and injury time. How to Ice your Injury.
  • Massage the injured area to increase blood flow, reduce swelling and scar tissue build-up.
  • Train and restore strength. If you are too scared to use your injured area, it will continue to lose muscle mass and get worse! 
  • Hot Yoga and Deep Stretching.
Do something different that your injury can handle, that you enjoy, and fill the workout void!

I began a Garden & Pumpkin Patch...
DIY Garden Box and Pumpkin Patch!! 
Hot Yoga at Arrichion Gym which I LOVE!! Hot Yoga really helped stretch and heal my ankle. They have a gym in Charlotte and Raleigh and offer a $20/20 Classes/20 Days Trial for Beginner students.

Different Routine Ideas:
  • Walking
  • Read if you're couch bound...Atlas Shrugged and The Harry Potter Series FTW
  • Hot Yoga
  • Gardening
  • Weights
  • Push-ups
  • Abs
  • Vibrams Five Fingers- help with muscle rehabilitation and strengthening
  • Canoeing and Kayaking
The Silver Lining...

Lately, I have been focusing and noticing massive amounts of improvement in my running posture. Running Posture is very important to reduce injuries, knots, and sore muscles. I have noticed that as my posture improves, the faster I am able to run with less energy required!!

With my ankle injury, I was able to take the time to focus on posture errors during my daily walks and gradually corrected a lot of mistakes that helped out my running in the future. I needed a reason to slow things down, notice sloppy mistakes, and to fix posture problems. With Hot Yoga, I am able to control my breathing via nose instead of mouth, and I have noticed a major increase in strength & flexibility. Hot Yoga rocks and I'm really enjoying the new hobby which is a great running supplement!

So, that being said, I have found that I am kinda' glad in the grand scheme of things, that I stepped into the pothole. During rehabilitation, I learned self-determination and the importance of running and personal health to me (self-validation). The Garden is pretty fun too...YES!

Running Posture that I continue to focus on improving... 
  • Be Light on your Feet (think deer-like ha)
  • Shoulders back and relaxed (think of a cape on your shoulders)
  • Arms close to your sides, with hands light, not flaring out but at a 90 degree angle rocking forward/backward.
  • Neck posture is straight, chin is straight forward, relaxed, and stacked over your shoulders. When you put your head down, you will close-up your chest causing shortness of breath. 
    • Tip: During hills, keep your head up and relaxed to keep your airways open.
  • Use Your Abs: try to separate your upper and lower body at times to make your abs strong. When your alignment is on point, you'll increase in your speed and distance quickly! 
  • Pay attention to areas and sides of your body that tense up, clench, and aren't aligning properly. When your posture is on track, you're able to increase your speed without as much force. 
  • Nose breathing will keep your heart rate low and breathing consistent.
  • Tip: Stretch and constantly readjust bad posture to form new habits and better posture.
See, when we think our lives are over and BLAH BLAH BBBBBLLAAAAHHHH...
Stop, Think, and Learn...that's what we're here for, folks!! 
Soo...uhhhhh...BREAK A LEG! 

No comments:

Post a Comment