Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Silly Humans...Go Against the Grain!

Another GMO Bites the Dust...
Wonder What Kinda' Alien it's Gonna Grow?


Avoid these...Maintain Healthy Bod

The 2 week NO GMO Challenge is one of my faves and a big eye-opener. Generally, I eat pretty healthy but found some areas for improvement which is always nice. I found it really difficult in the beginning to find options outside of my own kitchen. My friends were really accommodating, but I definitely felt limited as most restaurants do not offer Non-GMO food options. On the bright side, I found a bunch of great food places that I will be supporting in the future...not a single complaint!

I did really well with only a couple of slip-ups...hey, no one's perfect, right?! As a result, I lost 4lbs without trying (WOW)! More importantly, I felt super-energized and reached an awakening. I am going to try my very best to spread the word and support places and foods that help us. I will continue my nutritional journey focused on constantly changing, restructuring, and finding better food options...GMOs no longer have a place in my diet, and I will avoid if possible. Now, am I going to live under a rock and never eat out with my friends and family again?? NO! Can I pick the better option?? YES!

The No GMO search helped me to find some really great products that I thought I would share! Sooooo, uhhhhh...where do I go?? I suggest checkin' out the following places: The Healthy Home Market, The Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Earth Fare, The Baby Grocery StoreThe Common Market, Salud, and Harris Teeter.

Down the Hatch






















Beer & Milk...bases are covered! BUT...NO MORE JACK DANIEL'S! SAY WHAT?! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANYTHING BUT THAT!!

It has been brought to my attention, they use GMO Corn....*insert boo here*
Woodford ReserveFour Roses, and Wild Turkey are alternative options. I am still waiting to hear back from Jameson, and Maker's Mark. Need a Vodka? Choose Rain, it's super delicious!

Get your drink on with Organic Bison Beer. Not enough?? Ya, me either...here's a organic beer list with 8 more choices! And, don't forget the ever-so-refreshing, Coconut Milk which is soooo good and doesn't taste like coconut (also used as a vegan substitute for cream). Need a wanna-stuff-your-face option?? Try the SO Delicious Coconut Milk Ice-cream and Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream (this is awesome-now GMO-free).

Adults like Snacks Too...


Wasabi Action!




Super Yummy Chocolate




















By far the best Veggie Stix ever! My parents even ate them- WOW!
They taste exactly like Potato Chips...for real, for real!


Organic Newman's Caramel and PB Cups! Yes Please!
Make Your Own Organic PB, Cashew Butter,
And Almond Butter at the Healthy Home Market.



NOM! NOM! NOM! Crunchy, Savory and Awesome!
Get In My Belly

Take advantage of the never-ending pasta options- try Jovial's Einkorn Pasta, it's absolutely delicious! Need a Dinner Idea?? Toss with olive oil, garlic and your favorite vegetables. Add a little hummus or pesto for extra flavor and nutritional goodness!




Geez...Still Need More?! FINE, I'll even throw in my bonus Soup Recipe...

Trendy Kendie Lentil-Chickpea-Black Bean-Veggie Soup Recipe 
WOAH WHAT...?? I'm outta' breath!


Oh that? Just throw it in too...
Prepare Zee Ingredients
  • 2 Containers of Organic Veggie Stock
  • Spices: 3/4-One Garlic Bulb, Salt & Pepper, 3-5 Bay Leaves, A Few Pinches of Rosemary, Oregano, Parsley, and Fennel Seed.
  • 2-3 Jalapenos (3 for super spicy...ohhhhh yaaaaa)!
  • 2-3 Yellow Squash
  • 2-3 Zucchini
  • A Container of Snap Peas (whole or Halve)
  • One Yellow or Purple Onion 
  • 1-2 Shallots (chop fine)
  • 1-2 Yellow Potatoes (dice)
  • 5-8 Red Skin Potatoes (dice)
  • 3/4 Bunch of Swiss Chard (chop whole leaves and stalk for texture). You may also substitute or add Spinach or Kale.
  • 3/4 Bunch of Carrots with the Greens (chop fine).
  • One Container of Cherry Tomatoes (whole or halve)
  • 1/2-3/4 Cup of French Lentils
  • 1/4 Cup of Chickpeas 
  • 1/2 Cup of Black Beans
Tip: Boil the Black Beans and Chickpeas separately for 10-20 minutes with salt and garlic to add some additional flavor and to make sure they have time to soften. Add to your soup pot.
Now What, Bro??
  • Fill up your large soup pot with the veggie stock and add water until about 3/4s of the pot is full. Next, add all of your spices and Jalapenos in order to allow time for soaking up the flavors. Bring to a boil and then lower to medium heat allowing your soup to cook all of the ingredients slowly.
  • Next, add the ingredients in the following order: Shallots, Onions, Black Beans, Chickpeas, Lentils, Potatoes, Carrots, Squash, Zucchini, Swiss Chard (Greens) and Tomatoes.
  • Give your soup time to simmer for 2-3 hours on low heat, re-salt, re-pepper, and add more spices as the ingredients begin to absorb the flavors.
  • If your pot is too full, remove but save some of the broth. As the ingredients cook, they will shrink and make room for your broth.
  • Have too much soup?? Store in individual or family Mason Jars for later.

And Voila...




Now, It's Your Turn! Get Out There and Be Somebody!
Spread the Word and Support Great Foods and Companies before it's too late!

Missed the No GMO Challenge?? 
I'm not your mom, you can do it on your own!! Like totally NOWWWWW! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment