Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Vibrams...Trip into Barefoot Running...

Vibram Five Fingers...
They're Actually For Your Feet!

Put on Silly Monkey Shoes, Beast Mode Engaged!!!
Vibram Five Fingers

It's not like we are born with "fly kicks" or "to die for pumps" it's quite the opposite. Instead, we arrive stocked with 10 little piggies each responsible for support, strength, and balance...why are we cramming these little guys in shoes, stripping away their strength and mobility?? Your guess is as good as mine?! I DON'T KNOW!! After multiple chiropractor appointments for knee pain and the ever so brutal shin splints, I decided a change was in order!

So, I started with the simple concept...if, you don't use it, you lose it!!  Keeping that in mind, lets discuss 2 Important Issues:

1. Running Shoe Support & Sole Thickness/Height:

The more support that your shoe provides, the less work and impact absorption your muscles, bones, tendons, and ligaments have to accomplish...that in mind, your shoe doesn't need the workout, your body does!! If your shoe eats all of the impact and improperly aligns your foot due to sole height, it will cause injuries from bad alignment stemming from your feet (your support system), which will continue throughout your body. By lessening the impact of your terrain, you take away the ability to strengthen your joints, muscles, and bones...make your body work, it can do it!
Men's Vibram Five Fingers
2. Cramming Your Toes...if toes could talk, they would say OUCCCCHHH!!!!!!

Remember, when you were a little kid, and your mom would yell at you to put your shoes on before heading outside?? And you thought, Meeeeh, i'll be okay, and you're feet were never injured?? I thought about the negative impact that shoes have on our bodies. For instance, they cram our toes into a shoe so, there is no space between the left and right areas of each toe causing a deterioration and mis-alignment in the muscles in your feet, ankles, knees, pelvis, spine, shoulders, neck, and afterwards, your all shades of done-ski!! Don't believe it?? I have noticed the difference drastically!!!

Your feet carry your body! If, they are not strong, your body in its entirety will not be as strong and will be improperly aligned causing potential injuries and major issues over time. Workouts are more effective and require more exerted force when your shoe has minimal cushioning and toe separation, because your personal strength is working, not your shoe.

Vibram Five Fingers: Sprint...Mountain Tubin' with Me Shoe

The Fix:

So, I purchased my first pair of Vibram Five Fingers, and I haven't looked back!! They are a remarkable shoe, and I run in Vibrams 95% of the time. I purchased the Sprint Model about 5 years ago, and they are still going strong with great color which has not faded or soiled (totally shocked, because I thought the light colors would get dirty outdoors the first time I wore them, not the case). I generally run outdoors and on trails, and they are amazing. I never knew that you could feel so a part of your environment.

These shoes are comfortable, can run on ALL surfaces & places: roads, trails, side-walks, grass, water, slick-surfaces (special-tread), hiking, yoga, kayaking, water-tubing, rock-climbing, tennis, swimming, etc. Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, they go right in the washing machine. I add detergent, baking soda, vinegar, wash these bad boys, and HANG TO DRY...if you throw 'em in the the dryer, they are gonna melt.

I cannot say enough great things about these shoes!! I have bought them as gifts for my mom, dad, 2 sisters and roughly 10-15 of my friends have purchased a pair and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them...not a SINGLE complaint!! You will notice a DRASTIC change in your feet, ankles, calves, and thighs while gaining mobility and control when moving your toes.

My Feet decreased in size from an 8.5-9 to a 7.5-8 which is crazy and also hooked it up with a lot more bony and slender foot woohooo!! I feel like my baby toe is actually an important member of my foot; unlike before, after years of squishing my toes in my shoes and allowing them to lose all of their strength...NEVER AGAIN!

The Results:

  • No shin splints, knees are 100%, no directly related injuries or problems, and I run 5-6 times a week outdoors all different terrains.
  • Toes, feet, ankles, calves, and thighs are noticeably stronger, more flexible, and help with great posture.
  • Therapeutic (know your feet), the feeling of being "one" with your terrain and environment.
  • I feel like a super hero when, I'm jumping around on all different terrains!! They are a remarkable shoe!
  • 1-3 week learning curve. It will change your running style and take a few weeks to get used to this different form of running. You should decrease your running drastically for the first couple weeks (by at least 50-75%) to reduce any potential injury while learning the barefoot running style. 
  • People starring at you wondering what the heck you have on your feet!! 
  • Increased speed, performance and mileage!

Don't believe me?? Try them out for yourself!! Want more Info on "barefoot running" please refer here, the Official Vibram Website and a Great Article with 6 Running Posture Tips.

Sprint Model: Vibram Five Fingers $80

They launched a special Running Model with a trek geared for runners. I love the Bikila Model  and have been running in it for years now....
Vibram Five Fingers: Bikila Model $90
I am a size 7.5-8, and I purchased a Size 39 shoe. If you are between sizes go with the model that is a little bit looser as, your foot will swell during your workout...the Bikila fit a little bit larger than the Sprint Model. You can purchase your shoes online at their official website or try on a pair at Jesse Brown Outdoors, but they will have less colors and models to choose from but similarly priced...still, a great store, and I have purchased many o' pair from them!!

My lil Sista, Marcie rockin' the Vibrams at our Ninja 5K Obstacle Course Challenge
hosted by Arrichion Gym (My Hot Yoga Gym)
Spread the Word, Share your Stories, Try Something New...

3 comments:

  1. I have been running in Vibrams for 3 years and love them! I definitely feel one with nature one my trail runs :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mrs. Kettler!! Yes, we are both big ol' fans of these silly monkey shoes haha

    ReplyDelete